Spanish police on Thursday released the names of two suspects who have been arrested in connection with an attack on the Catalan regional parliament on Monday.
The two were arrested in the town of Vila Nova, the first of the two in the Catalan capital of Barcelona, the Interior Ministry said.
The attack in which 13 people were killed has led to a national lockdown and led to widespread anger against the government.
The first suspect was a 33-year-old man, who was arrested in April at a house in the eastern Catalan city of Valencia, and has been charged with “criminal responsibility for terrorist acts”.
The second suspect was arrested on Tuesday at a flat in the Spanish town of Granada, near Barcelona, and was charged with an attempted murder charge.
The third suspect was not identified.
Spain’s anti-terrorism agency (Abril) said the men, both Moroccan-born, had been living in Barcelona, but could not say whether they were in the country legally or illegally.
The ministry said the suspected attackers had been detained and released on bail.
It did not say how the men obtained their passports, but said they had been stopped by police in Barcelona.
Spain has suffered a series of terror attacks, including two that killed 12 people in Barcelona on January 8 and another on February 1.
The violence came days after Catalan authorities launched a nationwide manhunt to arrest a Moroccan man believed to be behind the Barcelona attack.
A woman who identified herself as one of the victims of the Barcelona terror attack said she feared her husband would be targeted if she ever gave information to police.
“He is my husband, my husband’s friend,” the woman told Reuters news agency.
“If I told anyone, they would kill him.”
The Catalan government has blamed Moroccan-Belgian national Ahmed Hamdan El Shabaab for the Barcelona attacks, although he is not a citizen of Spain.
The attacks on Monday have renewed calls for Madrid to open a formal investigation into Spain’s alleged involvement in the attack.