Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said on Monday she had not been informed of the Federal Government’s decision to scrap the regional news and current affairs bulletin.
“I can’t be the one to say that because I’ve never been asked,” Ms Palasczuk told reporters.
The Premier’s spokeswoman said the announcement of the decision was made by the Federal Communications Minister, Mikeia Cash.
“He made the announcement at about 3:30pm and he said, ‘It’s happening now’,” Ms Palaskiks spokeswoman Kate O’Neill said.
“So it’s been a while since he was in the office.”
Queensland Premier Annacacia Palaskis response to Federal Government announcement of regional news axed (ABC News) Ms Palashuks spokesman said Ms Palaiszczk had been briefed on the matter.
Qld Premier Annaclacas reaction to Federal Budget announcement of Qld regional media (ABC Radio Queensland) Queensland Premier Annaclacys spokeswoman said Ms Palmer had been informed by the Government that the Federal Broadcasting Corporation had decided to terminate its regional media coverage.
“Qld’s Premier is in close contact with the Federal Minister on this,” Ms O’Neil said.
Queenas Federal News and Current Affairs Network (QFANCEN) has been running the Queensland regional news for the last four years.
On Monday, the Federal Budget announced a $400 million cut to the QFANCEND network.
The budget said the cuts were needed to make up for the loss of the regional media network in the wake of the closure of QFancen.
Topics:government-and-politics,states-and‑territories,federal—state-issues,coronavirus,quarantine,state-parliament,state,media,quinnipiac-6740,port-gauteng-6736,qld,australiaMore stories from Queensland